Philanthropy & Service
Sigma Kappa is a very service-oriented sorority. Currently, Sigma Kappa has three philanthropies and two services, each with different, yet equally important missions. Our philanthropies spell out the word Sigma: Sigma Kappa Foundation, Inherit the Earth, Gerontology, the Maine Seacoast Mission, and the Alzheimer’s association. The Sigma Kappa Foundation creates and funds leadership, scholarship, and philanthropic initiatives that reflect the values and spirit of Sigma Kappa Sorority. The foundation prioritizes funding for philanthropic initiatives, unrestricted gifts, leadership development, sisters in need, and education.
As a sorority, Sigma Kappa believes service isn’t a job that we are told to do but a privilege that we are given. Sigma Kappa is involved in Inherit the Earth where we are committed to improving the environment here at Spring Hill we do this through cleaning the beaches (Coastal Clean-up) and working on our school campus. Another one of Sigma Kappa’s leading acts of service involves Alzheimer's Disease. We are dedicated to raising awareness and finding a cure for Alzheimers. This year of 2021 our chapter has the great privilege of hosting the Walk to End Alzheimer’s on our campus. These are just a few of our philanthropic initiatives that Sigma Kappa participates in. The ladies of Sigma Kappa are proud to be a member of Sigma Kappa.
Joining Sigma Kappa is a life-long commitment. This belief led to the adoption of gerontology as one of our philanthropies. With this belief, came the need to study the process of aging and the needs of the elderly.
Testimonies from Sigma Kappa Sisters:
- "To me, service is a selfless act that we do for others whether we know them or not. Everyday we are involved in service from holding the door, volunteering, or thanking someone such as your local hospital workers this past year. I have always been involved in service and so are my Sigma Kappa sisters. I will never forget when I was volunteering in a school to help struggling students and to see their faces when I would come in, and the hugs I received were unforgettable moments. This experience of serving others is priceless." - Sarah '22
- "Service for me is being able to give others a tool that will help them prosper in life. It is about creating equality both socially and systematically." - Genesis '22
- "Service to me is a way to give back to the world. The world is a scary and unfortunate place so giving back and giving kindness and love makes the world feel better, little by little." - Alanis '23
- "To me, Service means being the change I want to see in the world around me. It means doing things for the bettering of others- and not just myself. Service is an opportunity to contribute to something greater than myself… and I would never pass up an opportunity to serve." - Maddie '23
- "Service is giving back to others and has been a prominent part of my life. I have always lived my life of service in different ways of random acts of kindness or a service project around the community. One action of service can go a long way. Just takes one person to step up and give to others to brighten up someone’s day." - May '23